A little bit of everything
I’ve been so busy this week I haven’t really had a chance to blog. In fact, I haven’t even had a chance to think long enough about a single blog entry to make a group of coherent sentences. That being the case, I’ve come up with a collection of things that aren’t developed enough to warrant a complete post on their own, but I’ll feel better if I put them in writing (on paper isn’t the right term…maybe on pixels?). Most of them aren’t even related to diabetes, but that’s ok. There’s so much more to life, right? To make things easier for the reader, I will organize these little nuggets of information into bullet points. Why? Mostly because I’m still new to this blogging thing and haven’t used that particular typographical feature yet.
- I have to go back to the beach this weekend. I know, “why is he complaining about that”, right? It’s not that I don’t want to go to the beach. We’re going to visit my wife’s parents, which is fine, always good to have an all-expenses-paid stay. It’s just that it’s the 4th of July…and I’m pretty sure we’re not going to be the only people in NC driving to the beach this weekend. If I could just go into some magical portal and be there, I’d be all for it. Oh well.
- The Tour de France starts this weekend! Woo Hoo! I know it’s not a “mainstream” event here in the US, but it’s probably my favorite sporting event of the year. I’m disappointed by all of the doping scandals that have plagued the sport lately, but I’m pretty pumped that Lance is back. I don’t know how he’ll do, but either way, he’s out there trying to do things in an earnest, transparent fashion and for a good cause, and I respect him for that. And yes, I’ve already checked the in-laws’ cable channel lineup to be sure they get the Versus channel, thus ensuring my ability to watch the aformentioned race.
- Speaking of bike racing and LA, have you seen the new Nike/Lance Armstrong commercial? IT. IS. INCREDIBLE.
- It occurred to me today (while driving past several of them) that I’m terrified of cornfields. Part of it is that creepy sound they make in the wind. I’m also afraid of getting lost in them – I’ve had many dreams where I’m in this situation. I’m sure the movie Signs didn’t help things either. It wouldn’t be the first thing M. Night Shyamalan has ruined for me. I also have become wary of children that see dead people.
- So apparently there might be a cancer risk associated with Lantus? I know it’s still really early in the investigation, but this is disconcerting, considering I injected the stuff into my body for over 7 years. On the bright side, Amy over at DiabetesMine wrote a very insightful post about this story, and she makes an excellent point. There is by no means evidence of causation yet, and the consequences of not taking insulin are much more immediate and severe than such “possible” long-term risks. It will be interesting to see how this develops.
Well, that’s all I’ve got for now. See, it wasn’t that disjointed, now was it? There were some recurring themes: bike racing, cancer, my incisive wit. I guess the corn thing wasn’t really related to anything else, but you’ve got to admit, that shit is freaky.
Until next time,